Saturday, February 22, 2014

Day 47 Meditation 2/17/14

2/17/14
Today's dhamma talk was a valuable one. Our Monk leader talked about beauty. He told us that in Thai culture you never talk about anyone's physical beauty. That beauty is seen as the spirit or energy inside you. He then told us a few important stories of the Buddha, and of a beautiful woman who thought she could have anyone she desired. She continuously denied any man who asked to marry her, until she saw the Buddha. She went to her parents and told her parents she wanted to marry the Buddha, but the Buddha had declined her offer because he saw past her physical beauty and saw into her energy which was not as radiant as her appearance. After our dhamma talk, it was breakfast time. All of the mediators went to breakfast, and I made my way back to my room for a nap. When I woke up Ryan and I went for a walk down the nature path. I laid out the bamboo mat and my meditation pillows, and did a twenty minute meditation session. During this time Ryan joined the rest of the group for lunch. When he was done he joined me on my mat and we starred up at the canopy of the trees and admired the variety of life teaming in the jungle. After a while we parted ways, I went back to my room and read, and he went back to his for a nap. At 2pm we reported to the monk. He said the same thing he did yesterday, except he added another five minutes to our meditation time, and two more steps to our walking meditation. After the meeting Ryan and I went into the temple and did both meditating series.

No comments:

Post a Comment