Thursday, January 16, 2014

Day 16 Bball heaven 1/16/14

Today at school we were given the entire day to work on our lessons. I didn't have much to work on since I did most of my planning the day before, so I spent sometime watching Ryan and helping him come up with ideas for his lesson. I had one too many cups of coffee and was extremely hyper, singing kid songs repeatedly. My enthusiasm was knocked out of me when I fell down the stairs at school. I was walking down for my second cup of coffee when I slipped and slid down a small flight of wooden stairs leaving a burn on the back of my leg and a bruise on my tail bone. It wasn't my brightest moment of the day. The stairs in Thailand can be super sketchy in most places,luckily I didn't hurt myself too seriously. Back upstairs everyone put the finishing touches on their lesson. Moz told us that when we finished wewere going to present it to the class so we could get practice. I volunteered to go first .We sang head, shoulders, knees and toes, played freeze dance, and learned vocabulary words. Ryan went second showing us flash cards of sea animals and playing games to quiz us on our knowledge. Lastly Nick went presenting his transportation vocabulary on flashcards, and playing a running game. Jeff said he wasn't ready to present his project; which we all knew was a result of him using his time writing stupid letters about his water heater. After we presented Moz let us go early. Before leaving school we talked to Nick about coming with us to the lake tomorrow for a hike and a swim. He liked the idea and said he would join us. From school Ryan and I went to grab lunch at restaurant "Number Nine", near our house. After lunch we walked to a nearby market that sold fruit and other goods. We bought mangoes, spicy peanuts, and dragon fruit for tomorrow's hike. We then headed back to the apartment where I got into my basketball gear.On Thursday nights at the Chiang Mai international school a group of women get together to play, so Ryan and I headed there early to shoot around at the school's outdoor courts. When we got there we were surprised by how many hoops there were. There were four outdoor hoops, and another full court outside under an awning. We shot around for a  until 5pm. At this time I went to the indoor gym where the girls were, and Ryan stayed outside shooting by himself. I recognized two of the girls from the Saturday coed group ,but the rest were all new to me. All of the girls were really nice; most of them in their 30's. Their skill level wasn't the greatest; causing turn overs every ten seconds, but it was fun and a great workout. One of the ladies also told me that the gym stays open until the last person leaves. She said that you could stay late into the night, as long as you turn off the lights, so the  security guards of the school, who work 24hrs, see that the lights are off, and can lock the gym. After I learned this I was sold on living in Chiang Mai. Playing basketball makes me feel at home, and the fact that we were able to find a place that has an indoor court open that late, is a miracle. After an exhausting 2 hours of playing ball,Ryan and I walked to get some frozen yogurt. The yogurt place we went to was the only one I had seen in Chiang Mai. It was delicious but too expensive. After our tasty treat we headed to the market to pick up a few things before heading back to the apartment where we spent the rest of our nights watching comedies.

No comments:

Post a Comment