Monday, January 13, 2014

Day 12 Sunday Market 1/12/14

Today was a very lazy Sunday. We slept in and didn't do much with the first half of our day except some lesson planning. Later in the afternoon we decided to mozy on down to the park. I brought the laptop to do some writing, and Ryan worked on a few things of his own. We rented a bamboo mat for 10 baht and sprawled out in the sun. At the park I had to use the bathroom, so I walked to find one. When I came across it I saw a sign that read "30 baht to use the bathroom". After reading the sign I turned away to get money. As I started to walk away an elderly  woman working at a vendor near me waved me over. I walked over not knowing what she wanted. she smiled at me and put thirty baht in my hand and said "for bathroom". The woman didn't look like she had a lot of money and I felt bad taking it from her, but I really had to use the bathroom. I smiled at her and thanked her many times, making sure I expressed my gratitude to the fullest.  I had planned on going to get money when I finished, to pay her back, but when I came out of the bathroom she was gone. Her act of generosity made my day. On the walk back from the park we came across an outdoor market with vendors selling food, crafts, clothes and other goods. We grabbed dinner at the market; pork rice, corn on the cob, and pineapple slices. After eating we decided we would walk around the rest of the market.What we thought was a small Sunday market ended up being a huge event. The market seemed to be endless. It stretched out all over town, down main streets, and smaller streets. Many of the vendors were the same from the night bazaar. Most of them selling similar things like; elephant pants, artwork,sandals, and food. The one thing that I enjoyed about the Sunday market was the live music. There were many street performers singing and  playing instruments. We meandered the streets for a couple of hours before making our way back to the apartment. Back at the apartment we streamed movies, browsed the internet, and trying to kill as much time as possible before 1 am, when the niners game started. I ended up passing out during third quarter but Ryan stayed up for the whole thing. Staying up until 3:30 am is true dedication to the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment